5 Fun Activities For A COVID-Friendly Christmas
This blog was originally posted on Minted.com.
The holiday season has always represented a time to reflect on the good things, celebrate annual traditions, and connect with friends and family. Despite an unusual 2020 that has limited our social interactions and travel, there is no reason this holiday season can’t be filled with fun Christmas activities, even if they are socially distanced! With decorations to be hung, seasonal recipes to be followed, and Christmas cards to be put in the mail, there are plenty of holiday-themed experiences to keep us all entertained. While each family household has different holiday traditions, we have assembled this list of creative Christmas activities for kids and adults alike, including plenty of fun for those looking to practice social distancing.
1. Build A Gingerbread House
Trying to figure out what you can do for Christmas from home this year? Nothing beats a craft that you can eat when you’re finished! Many supermarkets will sell a gingerbread house kit around the holidays. The kit will usually include the bare essentials to build four walls and a roof. Head to the candy aisle of the supermarket and select a few custom treats that will add to your child’s design of the gingerbread house. Here are a few ideas on how some popular candies may be incorporated:
- Plain or peanut butter M&M’s – can be used for colored roof tiling.
- Gumdrops – can be used for colored roof tiling.
- Small candy canes – can be used for wall decorations or fence posts.
- Shredded coconut – can be used for snow on the roof, or dyed green for grass.
- Pretzel sticks – can be used for fence posts or logs for a log cabin.
- Red vines – can easily be bent and wrapped around corners and edges.
- Marshmallows – can be used to make snowmen or little snow bundles.
2. Build A Snowman
3. Go For A Christmas Lights Drive
4. Show Off Your Holiday Sweater (In A Virtual Meeting)
5. Make A Wreath
There are many DIY Christmas wreath ideas that will walk you through how to construct a beautiful wreath for your holiday home decor. You could start with a plain premade wreath and add decorations. Or, for a more hands-on approach, purchase a styrofoam ring at a craft store and then begin attaching your own materials. Some materials to consider using include:
- Pine limbs
- Wine corks
- Ribbons and bows
- Wrapping paper
- Christmas ornaments
These are only a few of the suggestions from the original article. Click below to read it in its entirety.